Friday, July 3, 2009

Common courtesy is dead.



I usually tolerate people. Just people. I don't have any special patiences for anyone. In fact, one could say I have no patience for anyone. But I do tolerate people. Who doesn't? So why I fail to show even the most basic courtesies towards this family at my house right now, is beyond me.

They're eccentric. The parents are two of the weirdest people I've ever seen. At least the mother. But the kids...hoo, boy. There are four of them, and the first three are girls. Big whammy. The oldest child is a year younger than me. When I first saw her for the second time since childbirth about a year ago, I had a great time. My parents came away and saw that we'd had fun, so they planned another get-together. Big mistake.

She got me on the subject of boyfriends, then, when I inquired about hers, she shushed me and said she didn't want to "discuss it in front of the kids." Who are you, Mrs. Archer? Hiding the monstrosities of society from delicate, young ears? The following conversation that ensued doesn't even need to be described in words -- I can act it out for you if you want, and if I feel up to it. But it was just so ridiculous that I concluded that I'd never want to associate with her again.

Their calls don't cease, though. It's always "want to do something July 4th?" "want to go biking? hiking? picnicking? jumping-off-a-cliff-ing?" GOD. Learn to stop where you're not wanted. I told my parents that the next time we got together with them, I am not joining them. They're not pleased with me, but I choose who I associate with, and they have no idea the kind of topics I'm stuck discussing when they're chatting happily around the dinner table. I'm not about to get into another sticky conversation with this girl, thank you. Even Taiwanese fangirls are less awkward than her. Ugh.

No comments: