Saturday, July 4, 2009

Take it or leave it.



So, this afternoon, my parents took me aside and talked about yesterday night. I didn't leave my room for the full four hours after dinner while they were here. I didn't even eat dinner with them, but that's because I had no seat, no one invited me to sit, and I felt unwelcome, so I retreated to my room. They weren't mad, just concerned.

The way I see it, I have no freaking choice. I live here, and the only place where I can get a spot of privacy is my room. And because this family is just not normal, being under an obligation to entertain them, when they're in my house but not technically my guests, leaves me no choice but to lock myself in my room and pretend they don't exist. I wasn't completely impolite, because I did come out of my room to say hello to her parents when they first arrived, which, as my parents put it, come first in line.

I hate the fact that my parents assume that if they get along with other parents, their kids should automatically get along. Unfortunately, this is usually true, but in this rare exception, not in this case.

My parents say this is going to hurt me in the future...that it's "my loss." Maybe it will. And if it does, well, that's the way I choose to take it. But at the same time, I choose who I associate with, and unless I'm forced to associate pleasantly with those I'm not pleased with, like in the office, in class, which I will take with as much patience as I can muster -- outside of those circumstances, I reserve the right to separate myself from anyone I please. Just because you're in my house where I just happen to reside, doesn't mean I'm under any obligation to entertain you. I did not invite you -- my parents invited yours, and you came along. For this particular family, I have a personal vendetta, and I'm not interested in associating with a girl like her. Just, no. I'm not interested, and if you're in my house, fine, but I am under no obligation to see to it that you are well-entertained while you are simply forced to be here. Honestly, you think I like hiding in my room for 5 freaking solid hours just to avoid you?

Think again.

No comments: